Saturday, March 1, 2014

Blog post #7

Randy Pausch


It seems to me that Dr. Pausch is a very inspirational person about life, teaching, and learning. Dr. Pausch, throughout his his lecture talks about the same things that Dr. Strange has been wanting us to use and learn in this EDM310 class. In this last lecture video Dr. Pausch talks about all the different ways that learning and teaching are acomplished. When Dr. Pausch was making the class that is explained in the video he talked frequently about Project Based Learning. Everything that students do in that class is based off of projects. There are no books for that class it is completely project based. He assigns projects to groups every two weeks and after those two weeks he assigns new groups and new projects. This is a great way to implement project based learning in my opinion. Dr. Pausch talked a great deal about the projects that his students had done and of how fond he was of the outcomes of the projects. He stuck with the mantra of leaving an open experience for the students; meaning that they had an open field with what the projects could be on.

I believe that Dr. Pausch's class is a wonderful example of how Project Based Learning can be done right. After watching his video I am amazed at how little this technique is used in teaching. Dr. Pausch also talked a little about learning. The best thing that I took away from him about learning is that our critics are the ones trying to help us be better and that listening to them and changing things can only help us to be better. If I was not convinced that Project Based Learning could work before watching this video I am now. If I can be anywhere close to the Instructor that Dr. Pausch was, then I will think that I may have done it right.

2 comments:

  1. Hi John
    Having taken EDM 310 myself, I have also viewed Dr. Pausch's video and I believe his biggest accomplishment was getting others to see the importance of PBL. If I recall, his students created projects far beyond his expectations. I agree, PBL was done right by Dr. Pausch and now I believe he has set the standard for PBL. Good Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughtful. Interesting.

    "...I am amazed at how little this technique is used in teaching." Most current teachers were taught using burp-back methods. They tend to teach the way they were taught. We are trying in EDM310 to break that pattern of behavior!

    ReplyDelete